Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dawson Creek, BC- An Elevating Experience!

It's not too long a drive today from Grande Prairie. I can't find breakfast, and I spend considerable time in a Canadian Tire parking lot– purchasing and adding fluids for the Beast. Oil, washer fluid, antifreeze, fuses... The air suspension has frozen into the low position again, but she perks up when I gift her some new fuses. Compressor kicks in, mutters, and the car rises. We're still several feet lower than the trucks parked around us.

Find a gas station and fill up. More fluids. Expensive morning. More than I made last night pouring into the Lincoln. The windows, as the rest of the car are almost totally obscured by a thick, greasy dirt. It's a messy, messy drive on these highways. The side windows are almost obscured, and it's a good deal of work to get them cleaned off, much less the windshield, headlights, brakelights. I set to work with a squeegee and paper towels, and eventually the grime is cut down to safer levels. Tires are good. I'm into a Tim's for coffee and on the road!

A dull sort of day. These flaming stacks can be seen here and there from the highway. Burning off sour gas, I'm told. There's plenty of debate between the ranchers and the oil people about the environmental safety of these burning beacons.


Here's the venue! Wow! Right at Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway! Not many buildings like this one left on the modern prairie. They've done a great job converting this one into a museum and public galleries.

Nice, eh? I will play right in front of the giant Christmas tree. Very festive! Everybody is nice. I get set up, and have a nasty fall on the ice outside. Shook up. But OK. I'd hate to break a wrist or an arm at this point! Bruises I can live with! My hosts take me out to dinner, and then it's showtime.

An early start and an early finish here tonight. A good, friendly crowd. I'm able to meet quite a few people. The evening ends in an encore and, of course, not before awarding the Tour jacket to a lucky concert goer!

Back to Dave's house for a scotch and some conversation, and then it's time for a big sleep. A pretty nice day.

1 comment: