Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunny Day in Nanaimo

Outside my hotel this is what it is today in Nanaimo. By day, on the harbour and through the town, this is a beautiful place. I was going to go to Port Alberni today, but with the sun out and the weather mild the harbour is beckoning. Without the rain, the darkness, the run down hookers up on the hills, this place has a new face on today. And I'm liking it. I book in for another day here, and set out to explore a little bit.

There is a trail system of some kind around the harbour. I can see runners on it. Hell, I haven't had a run day in ages. Better do it, Doc. I'm already feeling fat from lack of activity, and it won't get better by passing up an opportunity like this.





Ready, set the Runkeeper, go! But not too fast. I'm aware that I've not run since my Thunder Bay dates, so it's been nearly a month down from running. I swear I'm going to take it very easy. Just kind of lope along for 10km or so...




This stuff is right in the middle of town! Wild, eh? I run into RCMP officers searching for homeless people in the bushes. Clothes are hung out to dry along the river... I keep running.


These hills on the inland run are killer for me today!! Ho! I'm only about 5km into the run and I'm hurting! Back to the Bay, where things are quite a bit flatter...





Twenty minutes by seaplane takes you to Vancouver.

November roses. I could get used to this.

I'm done! Just over 10 km, and my ass is hurting, and my knees are hurting, and my leg hurts, and I'm tired. This is certainly the most pathetic 10 km I've run in several years. But I did it, and finished. It's a reminder to keep at it. I knew this run would be a bugger, but it sure feels good. I'm going to try extra hard to get some mileage in on a regular basis for the rest of the Tour.
Well, that's my day. Back to the hotel for a shower, and then I'll open my office. With luck I may get some writing done later today! The shows are going to be hard, fast, and daily for most of the next six weeks. Gotta catch my breath and change a string while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment