Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Prince George, BC- A Festive Event!

Ian and I have a lengthy breakfast, after which I head back into town to gas up for the trip to Prince George. It's an overcast day, trying to snow some more. Still cold here, and the roads are a little icy. I could make the trip on what I've got in the tank, but I like to go out full on these mountain roads in case of trouble. I can tell it is not going to be a fast drive today, but it seems pretty good out on the 97 Hwy. I sip my coffee and take in the view. There's some serious construction going on along this highway. They need to build up the infrastructure so that they can move people and equipment in here to flood the Peace Valley. I think those opposed to the dam need to slow this highway improvement up as much as possible. Environmental assessments for every new bridge, every twinning, every new road shoulder. Once that road and it's bridges are expanded it may be difficult to stop the flood.

I'm taking in the glory of this great country, paying attention to the often slick and winding road.



I'm over the continental divide now, and have also slipped over another time line. My journey is now an hour shorter! Nonetheless, I am far enough north that in this season the days are quite short, and these are growing even shorter. It's quite grey in these mountains until the sun clears the peaks in mid morning. By about 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon it begins its descent into afternoon glare, and then hides behind the peaks again.



I make Prince George in good time, and find my way to my venue. It is to be a house concert tonight at Jim and Lucy's place. Their home is decorated brightly to say the least! I make my way in, set up, and have time for a nap and a shower before dinner. Guests are arriving, and there is a pleasant little buzz in the kitchen.

After dinner it is showtime! I've got about 35 guests in the audience– all this room can hold, and they are with me. Nice folks. Fun show!


And, of course, the jacket winner. Odds were pretty good here tonight! Congrats! I was hoping to see some of my friends from the Blues Underground here, but I guess this show was pretty much sold out already. Next time, OK?

After the guests have departed Jim and Lucy and I sit around for a while and have snacks and home made wine. A nice way to wind down a nice day. A quick update of the Tour books, and it is sleepy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment