Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thunder Bay- Country Cozy and The Underground Gym


A bigger drive today, and not any cleaner. For better or worse there is salt on the roads from here on. Today, I don't mind. I've had enough ice and road ruts to last me until next time. Still, it is a good five or six hours of driving. I drink coffee and listen to the sound of the wheels on the road. There's a certain roar a truck makes when it swishes past. There's a certain hum that the motors make: big stacks backblasting into the wind, like big steel animals out stalking the highway. Like giant caterpillars winking, somehow not ready to turn away, but gone before you know it.

I'm looking for the home of my host for the evening, The Old Vicar. Vic's a drummer and runs a long standing blues radio show out of CKLU in Thunder Bay. His house, however, is way out in the country. I make a couple of detours to get around snow and hills the Lincoln may not climb, and now, here I am at the front door. We've met before, but this is a great chance to hang out, so we chatter away over dinner before heading over to the venue.


The Country Cozy Bed and Breakfast seemed to be an unlikely place for a show. It's also out in the country, in a place called Lappe, Ontario. Roads to it have names like Moving Post. It's pretty dark out here, and I'm wondering who's going to show up for this thing. But the show is, I am told, sold out, and has been for quite some time. Loading in, the place is actually really, really nice. It's big and bright and looks like it will seat about 40. Before I know it, they are here! Like good country folk, they come right on time!

My pal Dave Jonasson is going to open for me tonight. He got here early and got set up. He's a Thunder Bay, ON, lad who has put in time as a guitar slinger with It's always a treat to hear him play. He's a cool, country blues player who borrows bit and pieces from the most unlikely places and stitches it all together. I always like to hear his slide playing, and tonight he rolls into it heavy. The crowd eats it up. I guess I'd better be good!

No worries here. This bunch are friendly, and after a short break I'm on! Tonight's show is helping to raise awareness, and food, for a Thunder Bay project called the Underground Gym. It's a volunteer run, volunteer funded organization that does outreach work with street kids. The founder is here tonight, and I'm impressed by his informal, half-time presentation. We collect quite a bit of food here tonight for the kids, and I find myself offering to both play and work out at the Gym next time through.




Here's my pal Dave Jonassan, post show. Thanks for coming out. Lots of fun.

And here's the lucky, lucky Tour jacket winner!

After the encore, and the second encore, we pack up pretty quickly. A fun night all around. Dave and Vic and I head back to the house. We jam until far too late. I'm glad I've only got a short drive tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment