Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Prince Rupert, A Warm Welcome

I'm on my own to check out of Kim and Doug's place in Terrace, BC. It's still pretty cold out, and the Lincoln is looking pretty ratty today. I visit the local cafe, do coffee, muffins, internet, lunch. Then I'm off to gas up, get an extra large coffee and hit the highway. It's a pretty short run from here to Prince Rupert, and the weather is good. I've done this run before, and it is a pretty nice drive.

A little sprawl on the town edges, and then...




Over the hump with these mountains, and suddenly the snow is gone. The temperature is all at once much warmer. Nice!


Rolling into Prince Rupert is like rolling into spring. The temperature is plus 10 or better today. No snow! No cold! No gloves! I like this.

I can't resist introducing this White Angel to her evil twin!

I stroll the downtown, visit the thrift shops, and take in the City Hall district.



The Haida influence is strong here... I finish my stroll and I head up to the address of tonight's concert to meet Anna, who is to be my host for the evening. The house is a 1930's structure, nicely renovated, with a splendid performance space inside. I am treated to some venison stew and then help Anna move furniture in preparation for the evening's show.

Local CBC radio arrives to cover the show. The roving reporter interviews Anna and I about house concerts– why she hosts them, why I play them– and records part of the evening.

It's a pretty nice crowd that turns out for tonight's show– including several people who had seen me play the Tom Rooney Theatre last year. There's a cool dude with a National Steel Tour jacket. We have fun. This is good!

Of course I raffle off a Tour Jacket! The camera acts up, but I keep snapping with it (and at it) until I have recorded the lucky winner! Wow! Cool!



Before I know it the night is over. I'm encored. There are handshakes and hugs, and the place is empty again. I have a glass of wine, some cookies. I do the Tour Books. I'll pack my gear down in the morning. This was the last Home Routes show on my schedule, and they've all been quite successful and fun.

In the morning, I'll be off to Haida Gwaii. I've done— what– maybe 80 shows to get here, to Prince Rupert with a reservation for the ship. The rain drums on the roof and walls of the house as I drift off to sleep. I hope the ocean is calm tomorrow. I'm still heading west. I feel like my adventure is just beginning, or maybe my adventure simply feels renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment